Manicurist-and-pedicurist-to-the-stars Bastien Gonzalez shared his Unguent For Nails & Cuticles in our January Birchbox, and has been sharing his nail care tips with us this week. We asked him to boil it down to five must-do’s for hands and nails, and here’s what he told us…
1. Stop using antiseptic gels—they’re terrible for the skin.
2. Never push back your cuticles, and don’t let the manicurist do this either. Instead, moisturise them often with my Unguent, whether in the car, at the desk, or during a massage. It will give them the right shape naturally and prevent redness due to the inflammation caused by pushing them.
3. Buff your nails with a shammy leather—it helps the blood circulate and leaves them shiny and smooth.
4. If you want to keep your nails painted all the time, be sure to change the colour regularly, and take at least one day off a week to let them breathe. Try using my Unguent as a 20-minute mask to help retain elasticity, and to avoid white spots, caused by spaces between the nail layers.
5. My lacquers collection is free of aggressors like toluene, formaldehyde, camphor, and DBP – try to steer clear of these ingredients in your nail products.
It doesn’t stop there – we also got Bastien to tell us his top footcare and pedicure tips. Treat your feet and keep your eyes on the blog for the next post this week!