Once you clear the hurdle of finding the perfect present for everyone on your list, the next step — wrapping it up nicely — can be just as tricky. Use these handy wrapping hacks to impress the heck out of your gift recipients before they even know what’s inside.
Fold Paper Into Pleats
Stuck with simple solid-coloured wrapping paper? Jazz it up with this folding technique that creates fun, accordion-style pleats.
1. Cut wrapping paper to the same width you would normally, but double its length.
2. Fold the bottom up one third in length, then unfold.
3. Pinch one inch above the crease (made by the fold in step 2), then fold downward.
4. Flatten fold using your finger, a pencil, or any flat edge.
5. Continue steps 3 and 4, leaving about an inch between each pleat.
6. Concentrate pleats toward the middle of the paper, leaving ⅓ at the top and bottom.
7. Wrap present as usual, displaying pleats on top.
8. Tuck a gift tag into a pleat for a decorative accent.
Make a Gift Bag Out of Wrapping Paper
Craft a gift bag that matches your other presents by transforming a large rectangular piece of paper using twine as handles and a colourful roll of washi tape.
1. Take a sheet of paper folded in half lengthwise, then rotate it so that the open ends are at the bottom. Curl the edges in to fit one side into the other.
2. Secure from top to bottom with washi tape.
3. Fold the bottom three inches of the bag towards the top, then press on the corners to create a hexagon shape.
4. Fold each edge toward the centre of the bag, securing both edges with tape.
5. Create holes with a hole-puncher at the top of your bag.
6. Thread your twine through the holes, tying a knot at each end to create the handles.
Turn Your Scraps Into a Decorative Bow
When you’re working with beautiful wrapping paper, you don’t want to waste an inch. Instead of throwing away excess scraps, turn them into a crafty bow to accessorise your gift.
1. Fold your scrap paper in half horizontally, then fold in half again.
2. With the open ends on the bottom, begin to cut small strips into your folds (don’t go all the way to the top).
3. Once you have some wrapping paper fringe, curl the strips with scissors to create curly q’s.
4. Starting at one edge of your paper, begin folding it inwards one inch at a time to create a bunch, then secure to your gift with tape.
5. Adjust the bow to your desired volume, then bask in the glow of compliments you’re soon to receive.
Searching for the perfect present? Give them the gift they’re guaranteed to love every single month — a Birchbox subscription!
– Katie Mitsos